Ginger is a flowering plant whose ginger root or ginger is widely used as a spice and medicine. Other name is Ginger root, zingiberis rhizome. 1
Ginger and integral part of our food preparation plays immense role towards betterment of our health and not just in Covid19.
1. Cure cold and cough : Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that helps to remove toxins from the respiratory tract. It contains potassium, magnesium, beta-carotene and zinc. Zinc as a nutrient helps our immune system and metabolism.
2. Reduce the risk of Diabetes :
Ginger has active compounds that helps to improve insulin and metabolism. But don’t take sweetened ginger cookie or sweetened ginger tea, try unsweetened one.
3. Lower the risk of cancer : There are certain extract of ginger which helps to kill lung cancer cells. It has cell protecting properties which can lower the risk of cancer.
4. Nausea and Vomiting : It may help to remove nausea and vomiting for people undergoing certain types of surgery. But it may be most effective when it comes to pregnancy-related nausea such as morning-sickness. 2
But how ginger is beneficial for COVID-19 ?
So Let’s get started..
Covid 19 and obesity
Since,the pandemic began dozens of studies have reported that, many of the sickest COVID-19 patients are obese. In recent weeks it has been found that, people who are merely overweight are at higher risk. So the first focus to reduce over weight and ginger could help to reduce weight . 3
Ginger may play a role in weight loss. A study of 80 women with obesity found that ginger could help to reduce BMI (Body Mass Index) and blood Insulin levels and as we all know that, high insulin levels are associated with obesity. A 2019 literature review of “Functional Foods” also concluded that ginger had a very positive effect on obesity and weight loss. Ginger’s antioxidant properties help to control these free radicals, and it’s anti-inflammatory properties can counter inflammation. These properties of ginger don’t directly address excess pounds, but they help to prevent cardiovascular disease and other side effects of being overweight. 4
How can we use Ginger in our daily diet? Ginger is used as spice so we can use it in many recipes. Here we go with our 6 wonder recipes :
1) Ginger tea : Adding a squeeze of lemon to your ginger tea or ginger drink helps to keep you hydrated and feeling fuller longer, improving your weight loss. 5
2) Carrot-ginger dressing : It’s so simple to prepare just like green salads. Just use thinly sliced carrot and chopped ginger, one tea spoon fresh lemon juice , pinch of salt and black pepper and here you are ready with your salad. 6 3) Ginger muffins : It is so delicious and healthy also. The people who do not like to eat cakes can take ginger muffins easily. The preparations are same as cake, just have to add gingers on it.7
4) Ginger-noodles : The noodles are just a vessel for this savory, gingery and simple. It’s also a simple dish to make. 8
5) Chicken soup with ginger : Many people like to drink soup as it is so healthy. You can have vegetable soup also by adding ginger on it. 9